Thursday, January 20, 2011

New York, Street - The Flatiron Building - a tribute to Steichen

Some of my most memorable moments in NYC wasn't from the streets, but when I was either in the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) and The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met). 

In those hallowed halls hung the works of great artists I only ever read about and seen before either on the web or on reproduced $1 postcards. 

Seeing Van Gogh's "Starry Night" and his cypresses series, Warhol's gold "Madonna",  Picasso's "Girl before a mirror"and many more often left me gaping in awe and feel that tingle down my spine. That's followed by an overwhelming sense of thankfulness to be present there in that very moment. 

One of the standout exhibitions at The Met was "Stieglitz, Steichen and Strand"that tells the story of photography's coming of age into being recognised as an art form. The one image that stuck in my mind was Steichen's shot of The Flatiron building (located on Broadway and 23 St).

While my shots can't be compared alongside Steichen's what with the lack of the evocative atmosphere and bespoke printing, this is an ode to his most famous piece - "The Flatiron".



























3 comments:

  1. I adore that first photo Jeremy - the soft edges make the photo very endearing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I like that pic too. The other three is a bit cold right? I prefer tonnage humans in the photos. Adds a sense of impermanence.

    Btw, those offices at the pointed end of this triangular building are the most coveted offices! They look out to the Empire State Building - how awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the architecture shots -- and the treatment!

    ReplyDelete